Locations where Popeye can be rehomed – Kent, South Hertfordshire, London, Sussex, Surrey, Essex.
Popeye is fun, friendly, very happy and an absolute joy to be with. he is a perfect example of a perfect galgo.
He was one of 4 dogs that had been abandoned by their owner and who were found starving and unwell by an amazing Spanish rescue who nursed them back to health. Now he has come to the UK to find a home! He is a confident boy who loves people.
We all love Popeye, especially his foster mum who has lots of lovely things to say about him:
Popeye is a 5 years old large dog with a kind soul. There are two sides to his personality. Indoors, he is calm and laid back. Outside, he turns into an energetic dog who shows off with his amazing trot and super speedy run.
It is easy to fall in love with Popeye. His nurturing nature has helped our family dog to overcome her anxieties. She has never been as playful and happy as she is now, since Popeye has moved to our home.
At home he is well behaved. He sleeps through the night. He eats all his food, plays with dog’s toys, is not greedy or possessive over food and toys and he does not beg at the dinner table.
He is clean around the house (never had an accident indoors). Despite the fact that he can climb up and down the stairs, which he showed us on day one, he chose not to go upstairs.
He travels well in the car.
Popeye loves playing in the garden. Our daughter frequently plays with him after school. He is obedient and patiently waits for his tasty treats, which he takes gently from her hand.
He loves running and would love an enclosed space where he could finally go off the lead. He does a lot of zoomies in the garden to wear himself out. He often makes excited noises as he does it.
He also uses his nose a lot to follow the scent of the wildlife in our garden and Popeye does have a chase instinct. He is very alert in the park when he sees squirrels and foxes but he is learning fast to contain his excitement. He enjoys meeting other dogs in the park.
He is an ultimate friend. He is loyal and grateful for the love and care we give him. He enjoys cuddles and praise. He always greets us at the door when we come back from work/school. His tail wags slowly and his golden brown eyes are glowing under his grey eyebrows.
During the national lockdown announced Jan 3rd 2021, we have to follow very strict government guidelines. Please read our Covid statement and please do not apply if you are not in one of the areas. Once the national rules are relaxed – ours will follow and we will be able to widen our rehoming area. You can read the full statement here it is updated regularly as the rules change – this statement may not be.
- We can only use our own key volunteers to do home checks and we are currently unable to ask your local volunteer or rescues for help. We are all only currently allowed to travel for certain reasons – we are allowed to continue BUT we must do everything we can to work within safe guidelines. To reduce travel distance this means we can only homecheck in Kent, East Sussex, East London, South London and South Hertfordshire. We may be able to process applications in Essex, Surrey, other parts of London and West Sussex close to the M25 but we cannot guarantee this. You can read more about how we homecheck in the Covid statement.
- We understand lockdown is frustrating, it is for all of us, but please DO NOT take this frustration out on our volunteers. We have all worked throughout the holiday season to process applications and we can work even harder if everyone practiced being nice.
- To proceed please complete the online adoption application form. This goes through to the rehoming team. If you send us a message through the contact us rather than completing the adoption form, there may be a delay of 2 weeks replying and we will then just ask you to fill in the adoption form. Correctly completed forms are receiving priority.
- Nearly our dogs are currently from a dog pound or kennels – they have not met children and during lockdown they cannot meet any children. The minimum age of your children is 10 years old.
- We still have a fault on the email coming FROM the website – everything else works. If you get an error message it means we have your form, the error is simply with the acknowledgement email. Please do not keep applying as it produces multiple applications. We are working to fix this fault.
- If you have children please read our page on children and dogs. We are unable to rehome to families with children under 10 as our dogs are not assessed and have rarely lived in a home before they arrive with us.
Ready to adopt Gilbert was Popeye?
Have some questions? Visit out Q&A section
Please make sure you are in a position to adopt a dog, before completing the online adoption form. We are unable to hold onto dogs for more than a few days, once you have passed your homecheck.
We do rehome throughout the UK, so long as you are prepared to travel to meet the dog within a few days of applying for him and then again to adopt him, once you have passed your homecheck.